Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

I love being a volunteer at the Evanston History Center!

This Sunday is the Evanston History Center Annual Holiday Open House where the public is invited to pre-game the holidays in the lovely Charles Dawes Home. From the staff: Join us for an afternoon of holiday cheer at the Dawes House, decked out for the holidays. The event features house tours, crafts for kids, holiday treats, EHC’s 2nd Annual “Deck the Dawes House” Wreath Contest, a raffle, and live music in the Great Hall.

1-2:30pm: Classical String Duo
2:30-3:30pm: Music with Marian McNair and friends

This year’s event features a “green” theme, with EHC composting for the very first time.

In conjunction with the Holiday Open House, the Evanston History Center collects donations of nutritious, non-perishable food (no glass, please) to benefit area residents. The food drive is conducted in the spirit of the Dawes family. Every year, the family put together baskets of food and goodies. On Christmas Eve, all members of the family drove around Evanston, delivering the baskets to families in need.

1-4 p.m.
225 Greenwood Street
Evanston, IL 60201

I've been a volunteer at the center for just over a month and so far totally love every project and staff member I've dealt with. Despite my massive inadequacies as a decorator, I was invited to help decorate the Dawes House in time for the open house. Below is a slide show of staffers and volunteers decorating on Nov. 29.

***

Thank you for reading my blog "Evanston Newbie", a project that I am using to chronicle my new life in Evanston. Do you have favorite Evanston bakeries, bike shops, events that you can recommend? Send me an email at thelisadshow@gmail.com and I will post my review on this blog. -Lisa Degliantoni

No comments:

Post a Comment