Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Really, you're living in a town that doesn't have fall? What the H-E double hockey sticks is wrong with you?

It's been 10 years since I've lived where the season of fall takes place and I'm like a crazy convert this fall. How does a crazy fall convert behave? I'm out screaming about the colors, I'm waving to the busloads of Japanese tourists taking photos of the trees on Sheridan Road, I'm explaining to my children how you can learn the type of tree by the shape of the leaf so you'll know what the color will be when the leaves change, I'm wearing a ton of burgundy, etc.

My favorite tree in the fall? The Ginkgo Tree with its rounded-edged leaves and it's boastful yellow blush.

My son wants to know why I love the season so much and I have to say that I love to watch things die a slow, colorful death. And that's what happens all around us in fall, everything dies. And in that same vein, because I'm not a total seasons snob, I love spring too. I love watching everything come to life after a frozen winter.

Everyone keeps telling me to drive to Michigan or Wisconsin to see real fall colors and I'm like "No way am I spending any money on gas when I can walk down the street and see amazing colors right here in Evanston!" The slide show below is a very small representation of just how gorgeous fall is in Evanston.

***

Thank you for reading my blog "Evanston Newbie", a project that I am using to chronicle my new life in Evanston. Do you have favorite Evanston bakeries, bike shops, events that you can recommend? Send me an email at thelisadshow@gmail.com and I will post my review on this blog. -Lisa Degliantoni

1 comment: