Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Happiness Project Rule #1: Schedule Time for Play

One day while sitting on the lawn at Dewey waiting to pick up my children from school, I overheard a very tall mom talking to a friend about an upcoming basketball game. If there is one thing that makes me listen up, besides discussions about food, it's discussions about pick-up basketball. Lori, the very tall mom I mentioned, was kind enough to answer my barrage of questions and invite me to play bball with the ladies on the third Thursday of every month.

This development in my life so early into my Evanston experience was a major victory in that it covered several of my glaring needs all at once; the need to make new friends, the need to exercise even if just once a month and the need to play with others!

Pictured here are just some of the ladies I meet with once a month to play at a church gym on Chicago Ave. There is a huge range in our abilities both as basketball players and athletes. For instance my face is purple by the end of the game (which is only 45 minutes) because my cardio situation sucks, but I'm a really strong ball handler so it evens out...at least I think so. Our games are always fast, fair and fun and we play to 10 points, two games in a row.

If you want to start playing with us, send an email to thelisadshow@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with our team captain Kathy who runs the show.

***

Thank you for reading my blog "Evanston Newbie", a project that I am using to chronicle my new life in Evanston. Do you have favorite Evanston bakeries, bike shops, events, summer camps that you can recommend? Send me an email at thelisadshow@gmail.com and I will post my review on this blog. -Lisa Degliantoni

No comments:

Post a Comment